Monday 26 March 2012

Springwatch

Today was golf day. Ross and I set off for the club about midday, the intention being to do some practice on the driving range and having a bacon buttie before starting our round. We figured that, due to the beautiful weather we have been enjoying the last few days, the course would be fully booked and we wouldn't get to go out until 3 o'clock. As we pulled off the main road and headed for the club we could see the car park was jammed full as we had feared. Resigned to waiting to get on the course we parked in the overflow car park.
We headed for the club house and found that all the cars were due to a private function in the club. Checking the tee time booking sheet confirmed that there were very few people playing we could go out any time we wanted. The good weather must have meant that many golfists had been forced to go to the garden centre by their wives. Ours had gone there together, thus freeing us to bat some balls.

The first two holes had mixed outcomes, I was awful scoring 9 & 10, Ross managed to par both holes. The third was eminently forgettable but the fourth was magnificent. This hole is interesting. The green is actually about 15-20 feet below the fairway and to the right. We decided to drive for the green. Ross went first, the shot flew towards the green but we were unable to see where it landed. I took my shot, it started off left and then went right, again we couldn't see where it landed. We walked down the path towards the green to see one ball just off the edge of the green about 40 feet from the flag. The other ball was on the green about 30 feet from the flag. I went to the first ball preparing to take a shot when Ross suggested I check the ball, it was his. I had actually driven the green! Ross took his shot and got close to the hole. I now had an eagle putt, yes an eagle putt! Unfortunately the eagle swooped down, shit on me, snatched the birdie and was last seen heading over the trees. Yes, I completely blew my putt, missed the next and finished with a par. I would have been happy with a par, now it felt like a bogey.

The next hole is a par 3. My tee shot stayed low, skimming the top of the gorse, or whin as it's called in Scotland according to Ross. It then scootered along the floor and rolled into a bunker. I finished with a 6. The first 9 holes ended with me scoring 62. I needed to improve to get below 120.

The 10th was atrocious, the 11th was much improved, a 1 over par 5. We now had the most difficult hole on the course. Ross said he was going to hit the ball to the left as his tee shots had been going to the right. The problem was if he hit it straight he said it would go into the gorse. I remarked that would be a whin win situation!

The rest of the round was better and I finished with 119, the same as last time. At least I'm not getting worse.

The only bad thing was Pompey losing to Coventry, still we've got Hull at home Tuesday and Burnley at home next Saturday.

The weather this week is supposed to be good, so I think another trip to the club is in order. I wonder if I'll see that eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment