Tuesday 15 May 2012

New Bats and Ice Hockey

I have now taken possession of my new bats. I got back from Scotland a week earlier than I expected so I managed to pick up the clubs early, unfortunately I didn't get to use them for 2 weeks. It wasn't the spectacular success I was hoping for,infact I was playing considerably worse than normal. I finished the round on 132; not my worst round but certainly nowhere near my best either. It will also be some time before I am able to use them again as I have been sent to Finland on a job. I am back in Turku; a city I first came to 14 years ago. Although there have been changes, it's still the friendly place I remember. The company where I'm working hasn't changed much either; some of the people have gone due to retirement but my friends are still there and it's been good to see them and catch up. We're all a little older now but the friendship remains. The Ice Hockey World Cup is being held here in Finland and Sweden. We both love ice hockey and always take in a game when we visit, so watching the matches in bars and restaurants has been great. We are, of course, supporting Finland, who so far have won 5 of their seven preliminary games and lost 2, to Canada and the USA. Their quarter final game is on Thursday and will be against the USA again. Hopefully this time they'll win. The mascot for this year's cup is The Hockey Bird, a specially designed Angry Bird, they are everywhere, on T Shirts, hoodies, hats, keyrings, cuddly toys and even boxer shorts! Michelle has bought a cuddly keyring to hang off her bag and has sent Hockey Bird postcards home with Hockey Bird stamps! I've got a T Shirt. I'll be here for another couple of weeks and then I hope I get the chance to play with my new clubs again before heading back to Scotland. I really hope we get some more work out here soon, if not, we'll just have to come back on holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment