Friday 2 September 2011

The wait is over.


Golf at last!

Tonight Ross and I managed to get out and play 7 holes. It was a beautiful evening; not a cloud in the sky and the sunset was magnificent.

The golf was pretty good too; I only duffed up 2 of the holes. We started on the ninth and I should have got a par but 2 putted for a 4. The tenth was a disaster hole; I hit the tee shot into the rough on the right and had to play a chip onto the eleventh to be able to play back onto the correct hole. I scored a 10 in the end! The eleventh wasn’t too bad; 6 shots for a net par 4. The next hole is the one I fear the most. This is the hole I am lucky to keep in single figures. If ever there was a bogey hole it’s this one. We were about to start the twelfth hole! Normally I hit the ball from the tee so it ends up in the long rough or trees on the right. Tonight I aimed slightly left and it went slightly left ending about 185 yards from the green in the first cut of rough. I had hit my tee shot 230 yards, and the second shot was playable and in sight of the green! I practiced a few shots with my 5 wood and hit the ball. This was my best shot of the day; the ball pitched on the green behind a slight rise, so I didn’t see where it ended up. Ross was about the same distance out as me, but his second shot didn’t go quite as far, ending up just on the edge of a bunker next to the green. This was a tricky shot, pulled of magnificently leaving him a longish put for the par. Unfortunately he took 2 putts to finish off. Meanwhile my ball had run off the green into some rough. I chipped it onto the green, but had hit it a little too hard; the ball rolled about 5 feet past the hole going only a couple of inches wide. I also 2 putted to finish on a 5. This was my best score on this hole by a long way. This should help me next time I play this hole; I now know I can play well on it.

We both made par on the short thirteenth. As the light was fading we decided to play the first and come back down the eighth to finish. I really didn’t play the first well at all; I ended on a 9. Unfortunately a couple of lads appeared on the seventh green as we approached the first so we decided to play the eighteenth instead. I almost made a par; just slightly misjudging the borrow and the ball just clipped the edge of the hole.

It was a really enjoyable evening; the weather was beautiful and we both played some good golf. The sun brightly illuminated the sliver of moon hanging low in the sky, and I was able to forget my troubles for a couple of hours.

 I’m still unemployed but I did apply for three jobs today. There was also a good piece of news; my car will be ready tomorrow. The garage is waiting on a part from Mercedes, which should arrive first thing in the morning. After fitting there will be a road test, so with any luck I’ll have the car back by lunchtime or just after.
Ironically, one of the jobs I’ve applied for comes with a company car; well it will be ironic if I get the job and have to flog the Merc.

I also may have solved the mystery of the man with the reinforced trousers I mentioned last time. Apparently a man was detained in the USA with 3 exotic snakes and 2 tortoises in his trousers. Now you would need them reinforced with that little lot in them. Maybe we unwittingly overheard the dastardly plot being discussed on Tuesday morning.

Yet again I fell asleep writing this; I hope reading it doesn’t have the same effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment