Friday 27 May 2011

All weather golfing


The weather had turned.

 Yesterday was lovely and sunny; today the wind got up from the west and blew in the clouds and with them the rain. However, I had promised to play a few holes with Ross and so at half past six he turned up. I put my clubs, trolley and waterproof jacket in the back of his van and we set off. Fifteen minutes later we were in the car park of the golf club. It had rained on the way up but here it was a light drizzle. There were only three other vehicles in the car park; looking around we could see one other golfist and he was practicing his putting.  

The fourteenth tee is right next to the car park so we decided to play the last five holes. Just as we moved to the tee, the wind got up and the rain started. Ho hum, well we there now so we were going to play any way.
 My tee shot made it just passed the ladies tee and that was with a following gale. Five shots later I was on the green. It looked like this round would carry on from the last one. The fifteenth was not much better. I tried a couple of tee shots as the first went virtually at right angles heading towards the sixteenth tee where the fairway fairies decided they rather liked my shiny yellow ball. We moved onto the sixteenth. Both of us managed to only hit the ball 20 yards to the left; straight into the rough. Things were looking bad so we hit off another couple of balls. As we set off we noticed another couple of idiots heading to the fifteenth green. We had thought we would be the only people out in this weather but it would appear that insanity is an optional extra with every set of clubs.

We finished the hole with a couple of impressive chip ins and putts and then set off for the seventh tee as our fellow lunatics had moved on to the seventeenth.  

We played the next four holes, each worse than the last as far as I was concerned. The weather, however, had picked up and so we dried out; except for my trousers which were soaked due to the intrepid exploration of the long rough looking for my ball. I didn’t find any balls but there was plenty of evidence of a lost civilisation.

Today was good practice for me; an excellent lesson in how not to play golf. It did give me a good idea what I was doing wrong and I can’t wait until next time so I can test my theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment