Wednesday 17 August 2011

50 not out


This year I will be 50 years old. I can’t believe that a) the time has gone so quickly and b) I’ve actually made it this far. It only seems a few of years ago I was leaving home to go to university and then only a couple since I moved down here to Hampshire. In fact it’s been 24 years that I’ve been living in this house and it’s 27 since I came to the area. Michelle and I have been together 20 years and she too is 50 later in the year. We have decided that we’re going to have a joint party and have a 100th birthday celebration. 

What should we do? Where should we have the party? I did think of hiring the golf club, but it’s too far for people to go by taxi. We thought of going to a pub, but the same applies as there aren’t that many good ones around here. As the date would be late November, early December it would clash with Christmas party bookings. In the end we decided to have the party at home and just invite close friends and family. This means we don’t need to drive and everyone can get here easily.

I’m really looking forward to it; I don’t look on being 50 as a problem. In fact I don’t feel 50; well inside anyway, my knees and back are telling me different. 

We decided that we would buy each other very nice presents for our birthdays; provided I get a new job that is. I will get Michelle an iPad 2 and she will buy me a new custom set of golf clubs. These will be very handy, as I will be able to customise which bit of impossible rough I hit the ball into. Her iPad 1 will be donated to a deserving cause, i.e. me! However, the vultures are circling as we speak, as they have got wind of this development. Matt & Holly are manoeuvring themselves into poll position, or so they think. Alas not for I shall be using the iPad for my own purposes. I know this gives me an extra present, but as I paid for it in the first place I don’t see why I shouldn’t get it. It will be easier to blog for instance; much more convenient to use an iPad in bed than a laptop, and I could probably use it as a golf bat. I should think I’d be able to hit the ball further and more accurately with it. 

As it’s our ‘100th’ I think I’ll give a present to myself; I will try and break 100 on the golf course before I’m 50. I would need to do 49 on each half of the course, to make it even. After all even with a disastrous start I managed 53 for the outward 9 on Sunday. Cut the disasters, and my goal is feasible.

The other goals I have are to get a job and a ‘new’ car. I’ve had an interview this week so, finger’s crossed; I’ll have a job soon. I do also have another interview lined up. I have actually achieved the car bit though, as on Saturday I’ll be picking up a 12 year old C class Mercedes estate. It’s an automatic diesel but does 46 mpg! That’s as good as the Peugeot; though I’m pretty sure the engine will last longer. I did say next time I’d buy German.

Tomorrow is golfie day, but alas it looks like there’s going to be over 2 inches of rain. It looks like we’ll be off to the driving range instead. There’s a very good shop there, with lots of golfing gewgaws. I shall spend some time contemplating the clubs and deciding which I would like for my birthday. I am looking forward to going back for a custom fit and playing with the bats. Unfortunately when the guy analyses my swing the only thing he’ll recommend will be a cricket bat.

Still, it should help me reach 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment