Thursday 4 August 2011

Rain! Deep joy


It’s raining!

 All week it’s been gorgeous weather, hot and sunny, just right for knocking a small ball around the countryside. Today, however, is not the ideal conditions for ball whacking. There may also be thunderstorms, so that’s buggered up today’s golfings. I’m actually rather glad about this because last night I watered the garden (I know, I know. Why do that when rain is forecast? It hadn’t been done for a couple of days and was looking parched ok!) Anyway, as I put the hose away I felt a twinge in my lower back. All seemed ok, but then Michelle came home from running her Slimming World group and I emptied the car of all her stuff and put it away. Mistake! The twinge got slightly worse but not too bad. Overnight I got up to go for a call of nature. I could hardly get out of bed! I crept like an old man to the bathroom and back again. Every time I turned over my back sent a twinge of pain right down to my toes, out of the bed and escaped through the window. 

When I tried to get out of bed this morning, it took me 5 minutes to try and sit up, slide my legs over the side of the bed and stand.  Getting dressed was fun; I was sat on the bed trying to get my underpants on. It took several goes to get my foot high enough to lasso it with the correct leg of the pants. I then had to manoeuvre my other foot to catch the other leg hole. That done it was the turn of the socks. I haven’t been wearing socks lately, but as it was bogging it down I decided to wear shoes today. My pants were now round my thighs; it was too painful to stand up, so I had to draw my leg up as best I could to get the first sock on. Excruciating isn’t a word I use often but it seems appropriate at this point. By now the pain was getting adventurous and had headed off through the window and down the street. It would return. I just about managed with the first sock and had to repeat the procedure with the second. 

Now it was time to stand up, which was relatively painless. I hobbled over to my shorts and somehow managed to get them on. A t-shirt and shoes followed and I set off downstairs a tread at a time. I was able to make breakfast and check my emails, but standing up again was a 3 ring circus. Michelle rang the chiropractor and I have an appointment tomorrow, unfortunately it’s at 8.30 and in Chichester. Eventually I took a couple of anti-inflammatory tablets and put some freeze stuff on my back to ease the pain. This worked and I was able to drive Michelle into work and go to the bank for her. I even managed to go to the garage and clear the stuff out of the Peugeot as someone is coming to look at it today. I won’t get much for it but it might pay the garage bill.

I’ve made it home now and I’m sitting having a cup of coffee. I hope it rains all day; I’d hate it to clear up and miss the golf because of my back. 

Maybe I could send the pain to play; it can’t do any worse than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment