Friday 19 August 2011

Home on the range


As predicted there was no golfie tonight; the weather has been far too awful and, although it stopped raining, the course would have been somewhat quagmireish. Instead we went to the driving range in Portsmouth; with mixed success. I was terrible to start with and couldn’t hit anything; with any club, so I took the pitching wedge and tried short pitches. These went well, but every time I tried to hit a bit further I duffed it. I then tried a different approach. I addressed the ball with my feet together and then moved them apart as usual but I also moved my right foot back a few inches, making sure it was straight, and then moved the left foot back. It worked a treat; I was hitting the ball straight(ish) and over 100 yards. The routine was repeated for all my other clubs and worked, with varying degrees of success. I didn’t duff any shots; some went off to the right but were in the air and travelling; not rolling along the ground. I now need to try this out for real. 

Unfortunately, the course is closed tomorrow, I can’t go Saturday, or Sunday, and anyway the course is closed for a competition on Sunday. This means I’ll have to go next week.
The good news, especially for Ross, is that I will be driving. Yes the car has an MOT, is taxed, and I pick it up on Saturday morning. I can’t wait!

 Since we played last, Ross has been looking up insurance policies; just in case he has a ‘lucky’ shot like mine, except not quite so lucky. It would appear that various deals are on offer and Ross has decided on which one he will take. The policy comes with freebies apparently; free balls, and various 2 for 1 offers. He’s going to recommend me and will receive some more free golf balls for doing so. This means we’ll have plenty of ammunition for claiming on the insurance.

I actually wrote this in bed last night but promptly fell asleep, almost dropping the laptop. Fortunately Michelle woke me up and I shut the thing down and put it on the floor. 

The annoying thing today is the weather is great, but the course is closed. Still at least I can’t damage anything in the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment