Saturday 1 October 2011

Basking in the late September Sunshine


The last few days have been glorious. The weather has been fantastic and the temperature has been in the late 20’s with not a cloud in the sky.

Friday morning Ross and I went up to the club early. When we left the sky was clear and it was going to be yet another fantastic day. As we travelled north through the South Downs the other side was covered in fog. This was not a problem as it would quickly burn off. We arrived at 8.45 and sat in the bar with mugs of coffee; waiting for the fog to lift enough for us to see. After half an hour there was enough visibility to knock a few balls on the range. We hit 20 balls each and then proceeded to the first tee. It was still foggy but we could see far enough to tee off.  I scored a creditable 2 over on this long par 5 and Ross actually made par. The second hole then beckoned as the fog lifted and the course was bathed in glorious sunshine. Alas as the fog lifted my golf game saw freedom and disappeared with the fog; only to be seen occasionally running across random fairways as the round progressed.

The heat was oppressive; it was so warm I was convinced that my golf clubs had turned into soft mints and that was why I couldn’t hit anything. The holes went by and I just couldn’t make any decent shots. On the plus side I was putting well, there were only a couple of occasions where I took more than 2 putts and they were on holes that I had given up on and couldn’t care less. The ice hockey practice made its appearance yet again; fortunately only for a very brief time after which it decided that the weather wasn’t really conducive so retreated back into the shade. 

We completed the round, Ross scoring 101 and I scored 133 which, considering I was on target for well over 140, was a minor miracle. The bar called loudly and so, with much alacrity we went into the clubhouse.  There is a wonderful view from the bar terrace; the eighteenth fairway and hole and the whole of the fourteenth. There were still no clouds and the course was looking magnificent; which is why we were perplexed as to why it was so empty. We saw no-one for about half an hour, before a foursome appeared from over the hill walking down the eighteenth fairway, and then another four started the fourteenth. These were the only people we saw, so we decided to do a few more holes.

The first 2 holes were good, I managed a 6 on both; unfortunately previous form returned on the third. The fourth hole is interesting. The fairway is wide but lies at 90 degrees to the green; which is off to the right down a hill. It is possible to drive the green so, for the first time in months, I took out the driver. My tee shot started left and then faded right; it wasn’t a slice, and finished 20 yards for the green. I thinned the chip and shot off the far edge of the green, the following shots were not good. We moved swiftly to the fifth and I scored 4 on this par 3.

Our final hole was the sixth. This is the hardest hole on the course; a railway line runs to the right of the hole and half way up the left hand edge of the fairway is a lake. My golf game had obviously tired in the heat and decided to relax by the lake and watch the ducks and moorhens. It saw me approach the tee and hitched a lift in my bag. I took out the driver again. It only went 230 yards but did finish in the middle of the fairway. A wayward second left me 70 yards out; the resulting chip leaving me a 10 foot putt for par. I didn’t make it but was very pleased with a final 5.

By now we were exhausted so we walked back to the club house and went home. It had been a mixed day; the weather was fantastic but the golf awful for the most part. It was a day where the golf didn’t matter, it was just for enjoying the weather and the countryside, and in that it was a roaring success. I took away many positives but it may be the last chance for a game this year as the weather will turn soon. 

There is another reason why I may not get out again; I have a new job! I start on the 24th of October and it will mean working away from home. It’s a really good job; I’ve worked for the company twice before and I enjoy it, however it means travelling both home and abroad so the opportunities for golfing at my home club will be limited. I will, however, put some clubs in the car and try and play wherever I’m based.

 A new chapter is about to start in my life but I hope my golf game will like travelling and go with me. 

It can send some postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment