Sunday 12 June 2011

Normal service has been resumed


I have returned from holiday.

It is now two weeks since I last played ‘proper’ golf; last week’s many rounds on Padstow’s crazy golf course seem a lifetime away.  Although the crazy golf was fun I have had withdrawal symptoms for the full game. I find myself practicing my swing in front of the hall mirror. On Thursday evening Ross and I went up to club for a few holes. 

A couple of weeks break have made a difference. Whereas before I went away I was hitting the ball all over the place, now I can’t hit the thing at all. When I do it is a complete disaster. On the first hole I sent 2 tee shots 30 yards to the left and into the rough, the third went 50 yards forward. It took me 7 shots to get to the green; not counting the first tee shots, and 3 putts to down the little bugger. 

The tee shot from the second was actually very good, right down the middle between the two trees; giving me a good chance of a par 5. Unfortunately, I reverted to type and a 10 was again the result. Things were just as bad on the third and the fourth started bad but improved to a 1 over. I gave up on the fifth when I couldn’t even get past the gorse 10 yards in front of me. So we get to the sixth and the first tee shot ends up on the railway line. The second was better and I ended up 1 over. Well not counting that first attempt. 

On the seventh I became a ‘cowboy’ golfer; the ball made forward progress, but with ‘Rawhide’ shots. I can hear you now dear reader ‘What the f*** are Rawhide shots?’ These are shots that make progress, not in the air, but by rolling along the fairway. All I could hear in my head as I played this hole was The Blues Brothers version of the theme to Rawhide….

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'
Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!

Yup my ball just kept on rollin’ along. From now on I’ll wear a 10 gallon hat.

To be fair I did manage to par the eighth (genuinely!) but the ninth and tenth were disasters. By now, though it was time to head off to the pub.

I am going to have to get down the driving range and practice. The putting was pretty good overall though. All that time on the crazy golf paid some dividends. All I need now is concrete fairways.

No comments:

Post a Comment