Wednesday 29 June 2011

Sunday Roast


Sunday was hot, very hot. This was not going to deter me though and a golfing I did go.

This time, however, Michelle came with me. She decided she needed to try and play and see if she could use her golf shoes with inserts. As I said in an earlier post, the problem is she cannot wear flat shoes at all; she had developed tendonitis and needs to wear wedge shaped shoes. We did find a company on line which could hand make orthotic shoes; with inserts starting at £38. We thought that this was going to cost a bit but as Michelle really wanted to play it made sense to get custom shoes. She phoned them up and made an appointment. The company is based in a small shop in London and as the said appointment was during the Easter Holidays we decided to make a day of it and took Matt, Holly and my mum with us. 

There was a nice café a couple of doors away from the shop; so Michelle went to get measured whilst the rest of us popped into the café for a drink. I had just finished my coffee when she came back. ‘That was quick’ I said. ‘Yes’, Michelle replied, ‘I‘ve decided I don’t really want them’. She then proceeded to tell us what had occurred. Apparently it takes three months and many fittings to make a pair of shoes, so Michelle decided she needed a good pair of orthotic sandals before golf shoes. The lady started to take measurements and casually asked if Michelle understood how much it would cost. We had figured that a pair of handmade shoes would probably be about £350 but as they would last forever would be worth it. Unfortunately we had underestimated somewhat and were staggered to find that the sandals alone would cost in excess of £1700. That would pay for golf membership for both of us; bugger knows what the golf shoes would have cost, we could have probably added our Pompey season tickets in. 

A hasty retreat to Covent Garden was made where Michelle picked up 2 pairs of low wedge sandals for £35 each.  For £1700 she could have opened her own shoe shop.

I digress, back to Sunday. The golf shoes started to hurt on the practice range so a switch to wedges was made. We had also hired a buggy; which took the pressure off a bit but she still found the going heavy. After 5 holes Michelle was in trouble so for the next few she chauffeured me in the buggy. She did manage to play 9 & 10 but by this time we were both suffering from the heat so decided to head for the clubhouse.

The weather was sunny and hot; my golf was like a wet weekend but I enjoyed going round with Michelle; we don’t often get the chance to be on our own and it made a pleasant change just to be together.  I did manage to hit some good tee shots and even got a 5 on the 6th; something of an achievement as it’s the hardest hole on the course. Michelle managed some good shots but it was very evident she hadn’t played for some time. There is an American company which does wedge golf shoes so we’ll have to invest in a pair of those and get her out practicing more.

Next time I hope the weather and my golf can meet in the middle somewhere, exchange pleasantries and leave me to enjoy the walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment