Sunday 3 July 2011

Practice makes perfect?


After the heat wave on Sunday, I decided to go to the practice range at the club. The weather was nowhere near as hot but thunderstorms had been forecast so I went straight from dropping Michelle at work.

I had decided to only take a few clubs, so into the boot went a pitching wedge, a 5 iron, a 7 iron and a 3-4 hybrid. Unfortunately I completely forgot that my golf shoes were in my bag and the bag was in my garage. ‘Bugger!’ There was nothing for it, I’d have to just practice in the shoes I was wearing.

Fortunately the shoes didn’t hinder at all; I hit the first ball with a 7 iron which went straight and 120 yards; for me this is very, very good. Another 10 balls were despatched in similar manner with varying degrees of success but at least only a couple shot off into the trees and scrub on the right hand side of the range. I did nearly hit a couple of ladies coming down the 18th fairway but fortunately I missed them. It doesn’t do to interfere with the lady members dontcha know. 

There was much more whackings and wallopings and the balls went flying roughly in the direction they were meant to go and in the air rather than the Rawhide method. I was enjoying myself now. Once all had been despatched I went to pick them up for another go. 

I was still hitting fairly good shots; though by this time my right hip was starting to hurt. The weather was changing and the sound of thunder was getting ever closer. My swing was speeding up on an involuntary basis and the balls were going everywhere.  Discretion being the better part of valour; I ran around collecting up my balls and headed for the car. There was a flash of lightning followed a few seconds later by a huge clap of thunder. It’s not a good idea to be holding a metal golf club outside during a thunder storm so I was glad I was in the car. I have been told by fellow golfists however, that if caught playing during a lightning strike you should hold up a 1 iron; even God can’t hit a 1 iron.

When I got home I reflected on the session; I had actually managed to hit long and straight. I may be able to play this game after all. As long as I always hit from the same spot and don’t bother walking around a course I should do well, but where’s the fun in that. The fun part of this game, for me at least, is the banter as you go round, the hysterical mistakes and the talking tosh while having a beer afterwards. Whacking balls on the driving range can’t make you perfect at that.               

No comments:

Post a Comment