Thursday 14 July 2011

The Doctor is in.

The 7th hole at the club is 502 yards long and uphill. It is one hell of a hole. Today I got a genuine par!

My tee shot went of straight but then curved to right; fortuitously landing in front of a bunker guarding that flank. The second shot flew quite well but bounced right in front of the right hand bunker of a pair which sit slap bang in the middle of the approach to the green. The ball bounced over the bunker onto the steep wall of grass the other side. This wall is almost vertical but I was lucky that the ball caught in a tuft of grass and sat there about 2 feet from the crest of the hill. From this point to the flag is about 30 yards. My next shot is possibly the best shot I have ever made. I had to stand very awkwardly; with my left foot on the top of the hill and my right fighting for grip about a foot below the ball. I knew, instinctively, how to play this shot and I hit the ball with a 5 iron. The trajectory was a sight to behold; like a howitzer shell the ball flew upwards towards the flag, pitched and rolled, finishing about 7 feet from the hole. I could not have hit a better shot. The birdie was on but I slightly misread the green and the ball went past the hole on the left, leaving a 2 foot putt for the par. The plock plock of the ball going into the cup brought a huge grin to my face.  The rest of the 7 holes we played were irrelevant; this one hole was all I needed to make my evening and cheer me up. As you will know from my last post, my car blew up last Saturday and coupled with the fact I am currently unemployed, or ‘resting’ between jobs, I have been a little down this week, so this evening’s golfing has gone a long way to making me feel better.

Tonight I hit every tee shot; no air shots and only a couple which went astray. I was only let down by my short game; so practice is required there then. It was a beautiful sunny evening and the setting of the club is magnificent. It was a pleasure just to stop and take in the views, especially from the elevated parts of the course. I could get into this game, the walking is ceasing to spoil my golf and it is helping me to appreciate what I have in my life and to deal with my problems.

It’s forecast to be sunny all day tomorrow, I think I’ll get some more therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment