Friday 8 July 2011

Thursday night is golf night.


The weather had been truly awful and the forecast was for more of the same. This appeared to put a stop to our Thursday evening golfings. 

Towards 4 o’clock the weather brightened so I checked the forecast for the rest of the day; no rain!
Texts were made and received and Ross and I headed for the club at half past 6. On arrival we thought about going to the driving range but, as we couldn’t be certain about the weather, it was decided that a quick practice in the nets and on the putting green would do. We proceeded to the 1st tee. I hit the best tee shot ever, it flew up the hill and landed slap bang in the middle of the fairway over the crest. Ross then went and put his ball just shy of the crest but also slap bang in the middle. The steep walk up the hill was aided by a rush of smugness. This was our downfall. Ross put his next shot into the rough on the left; he followed this by three more shots in the rough finally landing on something approaching short grass about 100 yards further up. He eventually holed out for 10. I didn’t fare much better; admittedly I didn’t go into any rough stuff but I didn’t make significant progress either. My second shot was most definitely affected by smugness and went 20 yards to the left. I managed to hole out in 7.

It was a short walk from the 1st green to the 8th tee and it was my honour; which I promptly threw away by topping the ball and sending it Rawhide style about 50 yards. This wasn’t a good hole for me but Ross got a par despite being in the rough.  We played through the 9th to the 13th. There some very good shots, another par on the 10th for Ross, and some bad ones; I sent one over the fence onto private property at the 11th, which was a shame as had it gone in the direction I’d aimed it then the ball would have landed on the green. 
All in all it was a pretty good round, the rain had held off and the wind wasn’t too bad. We finished the 13th at 9pm, pub o’clock, so a short while later we were imbibing some excellent real ale and talking tosh. And fine tosh it was, the bad part was forgotten and the two first tee shots were most fondly remembered. All that is required is to continue with that sort of form, but keeping the smugness secure in one of the pockets on our bags so it doesn’t contaminate our swings.

No comments:

Post a Comment