Sunday 3 July 2011

Smug Mode


A par! I made a par! A genuine one; four strokes to hole out on the par 4 10th.  The tee shot went 220 yards into a bunker. I hit an 8 iron out into the shorter rough; then an absolute cracker of a shot with a 6 iron 132 yards to within 5 feet of the hole. The putt was weighted perfectly and took the bias in to consideration dropping with a satisfying plock plock noise.

This was the last of the 6 holes we were playing that day, and as it was 9 o’clock, the pub beckoned.
It hadn’t started well; the first two holes were 9 strokes each but the next 4 were pretty good, including getting a 6 on the very, very long par 5 7th. My tee shots were generally very good, certainly in comparison to last Sunday. Definitely my best golf in ages, the beer in the pub could not have tasted better.

We had started with a quick session on the driving range and I couldn’t hit a blessed thing. My last practice had been good, weather aside, this was bloody awful. It obviously had an effect though as really only my putting on the first 2 holes had let me down.

I know you should practice before going out just to loosen up and get your eye in, but is this the secret? Get all your bad shots out of the way on the driving range.

Talking tosh was never as good as the other evening, there was much discussing of shots and we decided that we really must put in some cards and get a handicap. A handicap would allow us to enter club competitions, meet other members and improve our tosh talking…err sorry, golf. This would also enable us to play at other golf courses around the country. 

Unfortunately I am unable to play golf this weekend but Ross and I did manage to head off to Portsmouth and whack a few balls at the driving range. The pro shop there was very distracting; it contains many shiny golfing gewgaws and had me lusting over a new set of clubs. The practice itself was reassuringly awful; I should make another par next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment